Academic Advisement Report

This is an automated system that generates a report of each individual student’s UB and transfer coursework matched with the student’s degree requirements. Coursework satisfying university, UB Curriculum/general education and major requirements is identified. The report also identifies courses that will satisfy specific degree requirements yet to be completed.

Academic Plan

Otherwise known as Major. Represents a student’s area of study and is linked to an academic program or career. May also be considered student major or minor. The plan contains both the major and the degree. A plan as a major is associated with an academic program however a plan as a minor is not associated with an academic program.

Examples: Approved History BA, Intended Mathematics BS, Undecided BA, Subsequent Approved Economics BA

Academic Program

Broad course of study or instructional track to which a student is admitted to and from which he obtains a degree. Also known as Program.

Examples: Arts and Sciences Bachelor’s, School of Medicine Doctorate

Academic Sub-plan

An area of further specialization or emphasis linked to a specific Academic Plan. Also known as Sub Plan. This is also known as a concentration.

Examples: International Politics concentration within Political Science BA

Academic Year

A period of time schools use to measure a quantity of study. UB’s academic year consists of the fall, spring and summer semesters.

Examples: Fall 2020


An area of the Student Center that holds student records and academic advisement information related to a particular student. Links that you can find in this area are My Requirements, Weekly Schedule and Enrollment Shopping Cart.

Accepted Major/Plan

An Accepted Major or Plan (Approved Major) is the status of a student who has been formally admitted into a major by a specific academic department. To be admitted, you must file an application with that department and satisfy admission criteria. Students receiving TAP are required to have an Accepted Major (Approved Major) after completing 60 credit hours.


The school must have accreditation from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education to be eligible to participate in the administration of federal student aid programs. Accreditation means that the school meets certain minimum academic standards, as defined by the accrediting body.

Add Course

Adding a course is the action that you take to register for a class. A course is not “added” to your schedule until the request is processed in your HUB Student Center. Check the semester class schedule for eligible dates to add.


This is an area in the Student Center that will display the program that the student was admitted.

AP Credit

The AP program for secondary schools is sponsored by The College Board and offers a college level curriculum and nationally standardized examinations which are generally recognized for college and university credit.

Audit a Class

Auditing a class is a student option for recording attendance in a course when no grade is desired. An “N” grade is assigned at the semester’s end. Graduate and undergraduate audit policies differ. Please consult the Registrar’s website for further information.

Award Letter

An award letter from a school states the type and amount of financial aid the school is willing to provide the student accepts admission and registers to take classes at that school. UB students accept or decline their awards/award letter electronically through the HUB Student Center.



Biographical and demographic data contained within the Campus Community module.

Examples: Name, Address, Date of Birth



Your internet browser’s cache stores certain information about web pages you visit, so that they’ll load more quickly in the future. Here are instructions with screen shots on how to clear the cache for all major browsers. If you experience issues with HUB, clearing your browser cache may help.


A physical unit used in relation to where classes are scheduled.

Examples: North Campus, South Campus, Downtown, Overseas

Cancellation of a Course

An action initiated by the course’s academic unit to rescind an offering for the upcoming semester; if you enrolled in a cancelled course, you will not be charged for that enrollment. The academic unit is responsible for notifying the students of the cancellation.

Chained Course

A chained course is a method of registering for two components of a course by registering for one part. The other part of the course is automatically added to a student’s schedule. For instance, to register for Chemistry 102, there are three parts—lecture, laboratory and recitation. The laboratory component is “chained” to the recitation.


A list of to-do items needed from the student that can be viewed in the Student Center/Student Services Center.

Examples: AP exam results, High School Midyear grades, Official College Transcript


Specific instance of the time, place and term of a course. A class may have several components; lecture, lab or tutorial.

Examples: ECO 181LEC B

Class Schedule

Class Schedules provide the semester listing of courses offered by academic departments, including undergraduate, graduate/professional schools and continuing education.

Closed Course

A “closed” course is the status of a course in which current enrollment has reached the capacity requested by the instructor or department.


Cost of Attendance. This is the student budget and includes tuition, fees, room and board, books and supplies, travel, and personal and incidental expenses. It can be found in the Financial Aid Summary within the Student Center.


The process of combining one or more loans into a single new loan. See the Financial Aid website for further information.

Continuing Student

A continuing student is a student who is considered eligible for registration the next semester because he/she was enrolled the previous semester, is in good academic standing and has not yet graduated.


Corequisite is an indicator in the Class Schedule that notes that another part of course is required for complete registration in the course. The other part of the course is not automatically assigned and must be registered by you when you complete your registration.


An instructional unit that is offered by a school and that is typically described in a course catalog. A course has a standard syllabus and credit level; however, these may be modified at the class level. Courses can contain multiple components such as lecture, discussion and lab.

Examples: ECO 181LEC, ECO 181DIS

Course Catalog

A list of all courses that are or have been offered at each campus with descriptions and course details.

Credit Hour

Unit of measurement for course credit; it is normally granted for satisfactory completion of one 50-minute session of classroom instruction per week for a semester of not less than 15 weeks.

Cross Registration

Cross-Registration is a program that permits a matriculated student to register for one course at another Western New York Consortium college or university without additional tuition charges and have the grade automatically forwarded to UB.


Declared Major/Plan (Intended Major)

Every undergraduate not yet admitted into an Accepted Major (Approved Major) should have a Declared Major/Plan (Intended Major/Plan). To have a Declared Major (Intended Major) added or changed, see the academic department.


Award for which a student is enrolled.

Examples: BA, JD, Advanced Certificate

Degree Application and Conferral

Students preparing to graduate must formally apply at the beginning of their final semester of enrollment. Only upon application for a degree can the final review of their requirements be performed, a diploma ordered, commencement information forwarded, etc. All students except those in certain graduate programs must Apply for Graduation prior to the application deadline for each conferral date.

Dependent Student

A student who does not meet any of the criteria for an independent student. An independent student is one of the following: at least 24 years old, married, a graduate or professional student, a veteran, a member of the armed forces, an orphan, a ward of the court, or someone with legal dependents other than a spouse. Refer to the Financial Aid website for further information.

Drop a Course

Dropping a course is the action taken to eliminate a course from your schedule before the drop deadline. A course is not “dropped” until you process the request in your HUB Student Center. The course will not appear on your academic record. Students should pay attention to the Drop/Add policy as dropping and adding course could affect their billing and financial aid.



Electronic Bill that can be accessed through the Finances section of the HUB Student Center using QuikPay. Formats for the bill include HTML or PDF. This is also referred to as a Statement or Billing Statement.

Effective Date

The date on which a value, description, or record becomes current. Depending on the type of information, the current record is based on the current date or the Term Begin Date/Last Term Activate dated defined for a term. Allows the tracking of changes over time by recording the date each change becomes effective. This allows for the entry of future-dated changes and the ability to view changes to a record over time.

Empl ID

Is what HUB uses to identify individual people within the system. At UB your 8 digit Person Number will serve as the Empl ID.

Examples: 12345678


A link within the HUB Student Center Academics area which allows a student to register for classes when the Enrollment Appointment opens.

Enrollment and Degree Verification

Proof that a student was registered or earned a degree from the University at Buffalo. A student can request this information through their HUB Student Center using the Request Enrollment Verification link.

Enrollment Appointment

A date and time that a student is allowed to enroll in courses for an upcoming term. This information can be found in the HUB Student Center/Student Services Center.

Enrollment Capacity

A field that reflects the maximum number of students allowed for a course.

Enrollment Shopping Cart

A resource for students to plan for the classes they would like to take in the next term. Classes added to the shopping cart does not mean that you are enrolled in the class.

Enrollment Status

A field that reflects whether a class is open for enrollment or not. A class may display as open which includes some seats being reserved for a specified group of students such as majors only, or academic level (Jr. or Sr.). Review the class notes section for additional information.

Exception Registration

This process is designed to accommodate exceptional registration circumstances if you need to get in or out of a course but cannot do so on your own due to constraints or extenuating circumstances (e.g. not in a major, prerequisite taken by transfer work).

Expand/Collapse Arrow

Clicking this arrow will expand a list, such as in the Academic Advisement Report (AAR). Clicking it a second time will collapse the list.



This is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. It can be found at By completing the FAFSA, the student will apply for federal and state financial aid.

FERPA/FERPA Restriction

FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. If a FERPA restriction has been applied to a student’s account, the following icon will appear FERPA icon. For more information see the Registrar’s website.


An area in the Student Center/Student Services Center that provides information about a student’s bill and financial aid. Students can click on the payment options button to access QuikPay.

Financial Aid

Funds that are designated by federal, state, university, private, or banking sources that allow the student to pay for their education.

Financial Aid Package

The total amount of financial aid (federal and nonfederal) a student is offered by the school. The financial aid administrator at a postsecondary institution combines various forms of aid into a “package” to help meet a student’s education costs. Using available resources to give each student the best possible package of aid is one of the aid administrator’s major responsibilities. Because funds are often limited, an aid package might fall short of the amount a student needs to cover the full cost of attendance. Also, the amount of federal student aid in a package is affected by other sources of aid received (scholarships, state aid, etc.)

Force Registration

Departments may process drop/add registration online for students into department courses during the scheduled Force Registration period.

Full-Time/Regular Student

A regular student is one who is enrolled or accepted for enrollment at an institution for the purpose of obtaining a degree, certificate or other recognized education credential offered by that institution. Generally, to receive federal student financial aid from the programs discussed in this guide, you must be a regular student. There are exceptions to this requirement for some programs. A student is considered to be full-time University at Buffalo student for enrollment and billing purposes if enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours in a given semester. Financial aid eligibility may have additional requirements.



Select this button after you’ve selected an option, usually from a drop down menu.

Good Academic Standing

In order to receive financial aid, you must make progress toward your degree as defined by the Office of Financial Aid. This refers to requirements to maintain eligibility for continued enrollment at the University at Buffalo, as well as for continued receipt of Federal and New York State Financial Aid. For more information see the Financial Aid website.


Grade Point Average is a measure of how the student is succeeding at UB. It is used in determining academic standards for good standing, financial eligibility, continued enrollment and participation in University activities. Information about calculating GPA can be found on the Registrar’s website.


Half-Time/Part-Time Student

UB needs measure students progress for the distribution of financial aid. A half-time student at UB is a student who is at least 6 credit hours. Students must be attending school at least half-time to be eligible for a Stafford Loan. Half-time enrollment is not a requirement to receive aid from the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work-Study and Federal Perkins Loan programs.


This is otherwise known as a service indicator. They provide the ability to assign a positive or negative impacts to a students record. These impacts identify university administrative services that are available (or should be denied) to that student. This information can be found in the Student Center/Student Services Center under the Holds section.


Incomplete Grade

A grade of incomplete indicates that additional course work is required to fulfill the requirements of a given course. Students may only be given an “I” grade if they have a passing average in coursework that has been completed and have well-defined parameters to complete the course requirements that could result in a a grade better than the default grade.


Leave of Absence

Leave of Absence is an action to leave the University for one or two semesters and return to the same status s/he had without the necessity of re-application. Eligibility and procedures can be found on the Registrar’s website.



This is a function in HUB that is executed to move an accepted applicant from the Admissions module to a student in Student Records. The point when an applicant/person becomes an active student in an academic program. It creates a Program Plan stack in Student Records.

My Academics

The page within the Student Center/Student Services Center that contains links to academic advising, transfer credit, transcripts, applying for graduation and enrollment verification information.

My Advisement Report (AAR)

Found in the Student Center/Student Services Center under the Academics area. This report contains the degree requirements necessary to graduate from UB in a particular program of study.

My Requirements/Academic Advisement Report (AAR)

Found in the Student Center/Student Services Center under the Academics area. This report contains the degree requirements necessary to graduate from UB in a particular program of study.


Found at This is an online location where students can access the HUB, UBLearns, current events on campus and computing resources.


National ID

Social Security Number

Negative Service Indicator

A negative service indicator prevents a student from receiving specific university administrative services.

Non-Degree Seeking Student (Non-Matriculated)

A non-degree seeking student is someone who is enrolled on a semester-by-semester or course-by-course basis and has not been accepted as a regular student pursuing a degree.


Payment Plan

This is designed to assist those who may find it difficult to pay the total semester bill by the due date. The plan divides the semester charges into four (4) equal installments, depending on when you enroll. For more information see the Student Accounts website.


The infrastructure behind the system. Updates to PeopleSoft can change features such as the menu.

Person Number

This is the unique number that UB assigns every student. It may also be referred to as an EmplID. Your person number is essential in completing certain administrative tasks at the university.

Personal Information

This is an area within the Student Center/Student Services Center that provides demographic and biographical information about a person. Students should update this information in their Student Center to help the university maintain accurate records.


Otherwise known as Academic Plan. This is a student’s area of study at UB. This can be known as a major or a minor.

Examples: Major: Political Science BA; Minor: Art History

Positive Service Indicator

Designate special services that should be provided to the individual or used for informational purposes.


Broad course of study or instructional track to which a student is admitted to and from which he obtains a degree. Business rules for level/load, academic calendar, grading scheme, academic standing, honors and awards, enrollment limits are associated at this level by individual program. Also known as Program.

Examples: School of Architecture and Planning, College of Arts and Sciences, School of Dental Medicine



This can be accessed through the HUB Student Center Finances area. It allows the student to manage their payment profile, authorize others to make payments on their behalf, view their account status, quickly make payments to their account and view billing statements.


Register for a Course

Registering for a course is a student action to enroll in a course by following registration procedures specific to the student’s division during a specified period of time.


Course restrictions, pre-requisites, co-requisites and anti-requisites.

Reserve Capacity

Blocks of seats reserved for specific groups of students for certain periods of time. These are typically put on impacted courses due to the Enrollment Control Policy as well major specific courses. Students can find information about reserved seats in the class notes section.

Resign Course

Resigning from a course is an action taken to drop a course from your semester schedule during a specified period of time after registration ends (until the eleventh week of Spring or Fall semester). This action does not eliminate the class from your academic record. An “R” grade is automatically assigned, indicating that you exited the course without academic penalty.

Room Capacity Reached

Room Capacity Reached Course is a course status in which the actual seating capacity of the room has been reached. No additional registration is possible, even by exception registration.


Satisfactory Grade

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) is a student-designated option, with “S” indicating credit and “U” indicating no credit. For more information, see Undergraduate Grading and Graduate School Grading policies.


A specific class offering. Classes can have more than one section associated with it. It can be differentiated by the instructor, campus, day, or time.

Service Indicator

Also known as a hold. They provide the ability to assign a positive or negative impacts to a students record. These impacts identify university administrative services that are available (or should be denied) to that student. This information can be found in the Student Center/Student Services Center under the Holds section.


A time period within a term during which classes are offered.


An electronic bill that can be accessed through the Finances section of the HUB Student Center using QuikPay. Formats for the bill include HTML or PDF. This is also referred to as an ebill or a Billing Statement.

Student Center

The self-service component where students manage their academic, financial and personal information. It can be accessed through MyUB.



Administrative time period to which students apply and are admitted, students are enrolled and billed, financial aid processed and academic statistics accumulate. The term code uses the following logic: 1st Digit = Century; 2nd and 3rd Digits = Year; 4th Digit = Term (1 = Spring; 6 = Summer; 9 = Fall).

Examples: Spring 2009 = 2091; Fall 2008 = 2089; Summer 2008 = 2086; Summer 1998 = 1986


When you see this image, HUB is processing the transaction that you have asked it to perform.

To Do Lists

These are found in the HUB Student Center/Student Services Center. These are items that need to be accomplished by the student. These are primarily Financial Aid and Admissions actions.


Two main types of transcripts are produced: official and unofficial. The Law, Medicine, Dental and Pharmacy schools have their own official transcripts. Administrative users, depending on their access, at the very least have the ability to produce an unofficial transcript. Students can also produce their own unofficial transcripts through their Student Center (self service). The unofficial transcript is released to users as a PDF document that can be saved. Students can also use their Student Center to request official transcripts.

Transfer Coursework

Transfer coursework refers to credit hours taken at an institution other than UB.

Transfer Credits

To view transfer credits within HUB, the student can run a Transfer Credit report. Transfer grades display in the grade column with a “T” preceding the actual letter grade that was transferred into UB from another academic institution. Test credit display with a “P” preceding a grade. Other Credits such as Military or Experimental Credits are also shown on this report.

Transfer Student

An individual formally accepted by the Admissions Office as a matriculated student who has previously attended an institution of higher education following high school graduation.


Undergraduate Course Catalog

The Undergraduate Catalog is an online resource that provides information on all academic programs, courses and academic policies and procedures at UB.

Unsatisfactory Grade

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) is a student-designated option, with “S” indicating credit and “U” indicating no credit.


Variable Credit Hours

Variable Credit Hours is a student option with the instructor’s permission. Courses identified as variable may be taken for a range of credit hours. After the registration period ends, students may not change the credit hours registered for these courses.


Wait List

When a class is full, but a department has designated it to allow Wait List, the student has the option during registration to Wait List the class. Students are given a position on the Wait List, and if a seat opens in the class, eligible students are moved from the wait list in that order.

Weekly Schedule

This can be found in the Student Center/Student Services Center. Students can select a certain week to view their schedule.

What-if Scenario Report

This advisement report provides students with alternative program of study so that they can determine how a change in program of study would affect their progress.

Last updated: June 21, 2018 3:34 pm EST