Declared Major/Plan (Intended)

Every undergraduate not yet admitted into an Accepted Major (Approved Major) should have a Declared Major/Plan (Intended Major/Plan). To have a Declared Major (Intended Major) added or changed, see the academic department.


Award for which a student is enrolled.

Examples: BA, JD, Advanced Certificate

Degree Application and Conferral

Students preparing to graduate must formally apply at the beginning of their final semester of enrollment. Only upon application for a degree can the final review of their requirements be performed, a diploma ordered, commencement information forwarded, etc. All students except those in certain graduate programs must Apply for Graduation prior to the application deadline for each conferral date.

Drop a Course

Dropping a course is the action taken to eliminate a course from your schedule before the drop deadline. A course is not “dropped” until you process the request in your HUB Student Center. The course will not appear on your academic record. Students should pay attention to Drop/Add information on the Registrar’s website as dropping and adding course could affect their billing and financial aid.


Empl ID

Empl ID Is what HUB uses to identify individual people within the system. At UB your 8 digit Person Number will serve as the Empl ID.

Examples: 12345678


A link within the HUB Student Center Academics area which allows a student to register for classes when the Enrollment Appointment opens.

Enrollment and Degree Verification

Proof that a student was registered or earned a degree from the University at Buffalo. A student can request this information through their HUB Student Center using the Request Enrollment Verification link.

Enrollment Appointment

A date and time that a student is allowed to enroll in courses for an upcoming term. This information can be found in the HUB Student Center/Student Services Center.

Enrollment Capacity

A field that reflects the maximum number of students allowed for a course.

Enrollment Shopping Cart

A resource for students to plan for the classes they would like to take in the next term. Classes added to the shopping cart does not mean that you are enrolled in the class.

Enrollment Status

A field that reflects whether a class is open for enrollment or not. A class may display as open which includes some seats being reserved for a specified group of students such as majors only, or academic level (Jr. or Sr.). Review the class notes section for additional information.

Exception Registration

This process is designed to accommodate exceptional registration circumstances if you need to get in or out of a course but cannot do so on your own due to constraints or extenuating circumstances (e.g. not in a major, prerequisite taken by transfer work).

Expand/Collapse Arrow

Clicking this arrow will expand a list, such as in the Academic Advisement Report (AAR). Clicking it a second time will collapse the list.



This is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. It can be found at By completing the FAFSA, the student will apply for federal and state financial aid.


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. For more information see the Registrar’s website.


An area in the Student Center/Student Services Center that provides information about a students bill and financial aid. Students can click on the payment options button to access QuikPay.

Financial Aid

Funds that are designated by federal, state, university, private, or banking sources that allow the student to pay for their education.

Force Registration

Departments may process drop/add registration online for students into department courses during the scheduled Force Registration period.

Full-Time/Regular Student

A regular student is one who is enrolled or accepted for enrollment at an institution for the purpose of obtaining a degree, certificate or other recognized education credential offered by that institution. Generally, to receive federal student financial aid from the programs discussed in this guide, you must be a regular student. There are exceptions to this requirement for some programs. A student is considered to be full-time University at Buffalo student for enrollment and billing purposes if enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours in a given semester. Financial aid eligibility may have additional requirements.



Select this button after you’ve selected an option, usually from a drop down menu.



This is otherwise known as a service indicator. They provide the ability to assign a positive or negative impacts to a students record. These impacts identify university administrative services that are available (or should be denied) to that student. This information can be found in the Student Center/Student Services Center under the Holds section.


Incomplete Grade

A grade of incomplete indicates that additional course work is required to fulfill the requirements of a given course. Students may only be given an “I” grade if they have a passing average in coursework that has been completed and have well-defined parameters to complete the course requirements that could result in a a grade better than the default grade.


Leave of Absence

Leave of Absence is an action to leave the University for one or two semesters and return to the same status s/he had without the necessity of re-application. Eligibility and procedures can be found on the Registrar’s website.



This is a function in HUB that is executed to move an accepted applicant from the Admissions module to a student in Student Records. The point when an applicant/person becomes an active student in an academic program. It creates a Program Plan stack in Student Records.

My Academics

The page within the Student Center/Student Services Center that contains links to academic advising, transfer credit, transcripts, applying for graduation, and enrollment verification information.

My Advisement Report (AAR)

Found in the Student Center/Student Services Center under the Academics area. This report contains the degree requirements necessary to graduate from UB in a particular program of study.

My Requirements/Academic

Found in the Student Center/Student Services Center under the Academics area. This report contains the degree requirements necessary to graduate from UB in a particular program of study.


Found at This is an online location where students can access the HUB, UBLearns, current events on campus, and computing resources.


National ID

Social Security Number

Negative Service Indicator

A negative service indicator prevents a student from receiving specific university administrative services.

Non-Degree Seeking Student (Non-Matriculated)

A non-degree seeking student is someone who is enrolled on a semester-by-semester or course-by-course basis and has not been accepted as a regular student pursuing a degree.

Last updated: October 06, 2017 9:41 am EST